Baby Lock Love of Sewing Challenge Project Instructions
Baby Lock Destiny
Baby Lock Open Toe Foot
Baby Lock ¼” Foot without Guide
Baby Lock Open Toe Sole for Digital Dual Feed
Electronic Cutter such as Sizzix Eclips2
Die Cutter such as Sizzix Big Shot
Sizzix Dress Die
(1) 8 ½” x 11” Steam-a-Seam 2
Baby Lock Fusible Applique Stabilizer
Madeira Frosted Matt Thread
Variegated 50 wt thread such as Madeira or Aurifil
Applique Pressing Sheet
Clover Wonder Clips
¼ Yard Assorted Dress Fabrics
½ Yard Accent Fabric for Lettering and Inner Border
½ Yard Background Fabric
¼ Yard Sashing Fabric
½ Yard Outer Border Fabric
1/4 Yard Binding fabric if cut straight of grain, ½ Yard Binding fabric if bias cut.
½ Yard Backing Fabric
½ Yard Fusible Batting
From Background fabric, cut (3) 9 ½” x 10 ½”
From Accent Fabric, cut 10” x 12” for Lettering
From Sashing fabric, cut (2) 2 ½” x 9 ½”
From Inner Border Fabric, cut (2) 1 ¼” x 9 ½” & (2) 1 ¼” x 36”
From Outer Border Fabric, Cut (2) 2 ½” x 11” & (2) 2 ½” x 40”
From any scrap, cut 14” x 9” for Hanging Sleeve.
Binding, Cut enough strips to create 120” of continuous binding
Create Applique Pieces:
- Fuse Steam A Seam2 to back of wrong side 10” x 12” accent fabric. Adhere to cutting mat and cut with electronic cutter.
- Fuse Baby Lock Fusible applique to wrong side of dress fabrics. Layer Die Cut template, stabilized fabrics and appropriate cutting mats and crank through Big Shot Cutting Machine.
- Remove paper backing from lettering and center on 9 ½” x 10 ½” background piece. The 10 ½” edges are the sides and the 9 ½” edges are top & bottom. Once centered, fuse in place following manufacturers’ instructions.
- Remove paper backing from dresses and center one on each remaining background piece. The 10 ½” edges are the sides and the 9 ½” edges are top & bottom. Once centered, fuse in place following manufacturers’ instructions. Don’t forget to add the sashes! *Tip: I cut sashes from accent fabric.
- Make sure all three pieces are well fused for construction.
- Center fused phrase piece on batting and fuse into place. The short edges of the block should be parallel to the short edges of the batting. *Tip: Place applique pressing sheet over fabric and batting to protect iron from fusible batting.
- With right side down, place first 2 ½” x 10 ½” sashing strip along top edge of background piece.
- Prepare for sewing by threading with quilting thread and attaching ¼” foot without Guide. Select stitch Q-01, center needle straight stitch.
- Stich pieces together using ¼” seam.
- Press sashing strip open and fuse in place.
- With right side down, position first dress applique piece aligning bottom raw edge with raw edge of sashing fabric. Stitch with ¼” seam. *Tip: Before you sew, make sure that the dress is will be right side up above lettering!
- Press and fuse in place.
- With right side down, place a 1 ¼” x 9 ½” inner border strip along top raw edge of dress applique piece and stitch with ¼” seam.
- Press and fuse in place.
- Repeat Steps 2-9 to add sashing, dress applique and inner border pieces to bottom edge of center fused phrase piece.
- Following the same method, add long side inner borders.
- Press side inner borders open and fuse in place.
- Following same method, add outer borders starting with top and bottom edges, then sides.
- Press borders and fuse in place.
- Give the entire wall hanging a good press to prepare for stitching.
- Select Q-14, Blanket Stitch, and adjust Length to 3.0mm and Width to 2.0.
- Activate Needle Guide Beam and set to center needle position.
- Adjust left/right shift to -1.0 so that spine of blanket stitch is directly over top of needle guide beam on screen of Destiny.
- Activate Automatic Tie Off and Trim and Pivot Position.
- Attach Baby Lock Open Toe Applique foot to standard sewing ankle and thread with Madeira Frosted Matt thread.
- Position first dress piece under presser foot so that edge of dress applique is in line with center needle position.
- Carefully stitch around dress applique so that straight edge of blanket stitch is on the very edge of the dress and blanket stitch “bites” into dress. *Tip: Learn the construction of the stitch so that when you stop to pivot, you stop on the straight edge of the stitch, this will yield a nicer finished project. *Tip: Stitch slowly and carefully stopping to pivot and follow around the dress.
- Once you have stitched all the way around the dress, touch the Reverse Button as you are sewing to activate Auto Tie Off and Trim. The machine will lock in the stich, cut the thread and lift the foot because Pivot Position is also activated!
- Stitch around second dress in the same manner.
- Select a center needle straight stitch and switch to variegated thread that matches your lettering fabric.
- Carefully stitch through center of lettering stopping every couple of stitches to pivot and follow lettering. *Tip: Before you begin stitching, trace the design of the lettering with your finger to plan the best direction to stitch. Tracing and planning your stitching ahead will “Train” your brain and make the stitching easier!
- Once your applique is complete, press backing fabric well and lay on flat surface with right side down. Center Wall Hanging over backing with right side up and fuse to secure.
- Attach Digital Dual Feed attachment and snap on the Open Toe Sole.
- Activate the needle guide beam and set to center needle position.
- Using your favorite thread, carefully stitch in “the ditch” between focal blocks and sashing strips & around the inner and outer border.
- Square up the quilted wall hanging so that backing is even with front.
- Turn both short edges of hanging sleeve under ¼” twice and top stitch.
- Fold hanging sleeve in half with wrong sides together so that it measures approximately 4 ½” x 13”.
- Center hanging sleeve on top, short edge of wall hanging and pin to back side so that all raw edges are aligned and folded edge of hanging sleeve faces in toward body of wall hanging.
- Attach binding to back side of wall hanging using ¼” seam and mitering corners.
- Press binding to front edge of wall hanging and secure in place with Wonder clips lining up folded edge of binding with stitching line from attaching binding.
- Attach the Standard Sole to the Digital Dual Feed, select stitch Q-14, Blanket Stitch, and Mirror Image so that the spine of the stitch is on the left side.
- Stitch binding down so that the spine of the blanket stitch is just on the edge of the fold of binding and blanket stitch “bites” into binding.
- Secure stitches at beginning and end.
- Hang your inspirational new wall hanging in a special place!